Sunday, February 19, 2023

Week 5, Wine Blog 2 (Segura Viudas Brut Rose)

 Feb 19, 2023

                                                             The Wine: Segura Viudas Brut Rose

Varietal: 40% Trepat, 40% Pinot Noir,  20% Grenache | Region&Country: Catalonia, Spain

Year: N.V. | Price: $6.99

  • Tasting notes according to Segura Viudas: "Youthful fruit aromas of strawberry, redcurrant and grenadine. Refreshing on the palate, full of cherry fruit and a light acidity. A soft finish to the back of the palate ." (https://seguraviudas.com/usa-en/products/cavas/brut-rose/)
  • Wine Folly notes on Rose's: "bright acidity and soft, subtle aromas of crabapple, watermelon, raspberries, strawberries, and wet stone. The grape can produce earthy-but-elegant wines that are cool, crisp, and dry." (https://winefolly.com/tips/guide-styles-of-rose-wine/)
    Okay, so I bought this wine just before watching the lecture video that told me what "brut" meant, and you know I don't like most dry wines. The prosecco was a lucky strike. This wine smells like straight up dirty dish water, with no pleasant floral or fruity notes. The taste had a significant yeasty quality, enough so that my friend and I wondered if we bought a spoiled bottle. Tasted exactly as it smelled- like the Ohio River. I tried hard to get past these pungent notes but I was really getting nothing else. The "Brut" nature of it meant there was no redeeming sweetness, just strange dish stink.

I did not pair this wine with food, and thank God for that! Hopefully there is a better rose out there for me to try- only then will I even consider pairing it with food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9, Wine Blog 2 (JP Chenet Sauvignon Blanc)

                                                                          19  March , 2023                                                  ...