Sunday, January 29, 2023

Week 2, Wine Blog 2 (Pinetti Notte Zinfandel)

Jan 29, 2023    

The Wine: Pinetti Note Zinfandel

Varietal: Zinfandel | Region&Country: Puglia, Italy

Year: 2021 | Price: $5.99

  • Tasting and aroma notes according to Vivino: cherry, red fruit, white pepper, leather, smoke, blackberry, oak (https://www.vivino.com/US/en/it-pinetti-notte-zinfandel/w/2589362)
  • Primary flavors according to Wine Folly: Blackberry, strawberry, peach preserves, cinnamon, sweet tobacco, jammy fruit, smoky (https://winefolly.com/grapes/zinfandel/)
    • Zinfandels tend to have an alcohol content on the higher end and are relatively dry
Man, this wine is nasty. Just straight up really bad, which is understandable for the price point, but I expected at least some redeeming qualities. Nope! I got a zinfandel on the recommendation of my dad, who said it would be good for someone who doesn't like reds (me). Maybe I should've invested a little more. It was more complex than the Shiraz, but somehow still worse. It had a very heavy nose-  sort of umami, like when a neighbor 3 doors down has their grill going (smoky, leathery almost). Sharp acidity and alcohol burn at first, but it also had an earthy tree bark taste to it, along with cooked fruit. No aromas lingered- it was a fleeting taste that I, unfortunately, had to take several extra sips of to pin down the flavors.

Similar to the Shiraz, I did not have this Zinfandel with food because it I don't like reds that much. Even if someone likes reds, I think this one would turn the food to ash in their mouths. It's that bad. I don't think any food pairing would make this wine seem better.

Verdict: PLONK 2- THE PLONKENING



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9, Wine Blog 2 (JP Chenet Sauvignon Blanc)

                                                                          19  March , 2023                                                  ...