Sunday, January 29, 2023

Week 2, Wine Blog 1 (Yellow Tail Shiraz)

  Jan 29, 2023

The Wine: Yellow Tail Shiraz

Varietal: Shiraz | Region&Country: New South Wales, Australia

Year: 2021 | Price: $10.99

  • Tasting notes according to the Yellow Tail website: "juicy red berries and hints of vanilla and spice" with aromas of "concentrated red cherry and plum, complemented by notes of vanilla, mocha and spice" (https://www.yellowtailwine.com/us/product/shiraz/)
  • Primary flavors according to Wine Folly: Blackberry, black cherry, pipe tobacco, camphor, clove (https://winefolly.com/tips/tasting-challenge-australian-shiraz/)
  • A Shiraz is like a sub-variety or twin to Syrah, which was brought to Australia from Europe and eventually given its new name, and has since become a classic variety for Australia
I think this is one of the last chances I'm giving red wine! I have tried to like it, but I find red wines to taste more alcoholic despite having the same content as a white. This wine was no exception. I found myself cringing after the first sip. The acidity and alcohol burn were the first things I noticed, followed by a tart flavor like sour cherries. On the exhale, it had aromas of vanilla and cardamom, but more along the lines of  "I have just swallowed a spoonful of vanilla extract and licked the bottom of a spice cabinet" than "mmm warm vanilla and a hint of spice". Overall, it did not seem that complex to me, (I don't have a decanter yet, maybe that would have helped.) and I did not get any of the fabled "mocha" aromas the Yellow Tail website mentioned. Shiraz/Syrah wines are supposed to be full bodied, but this one seemed pretty light and tart to me.

I didn't try this wine with any food, because I know myself, and I would not enjoy my food if I had to sip on red wine the whole time. I assume people who enjoy reds would like it with heavy or umami foods like steak to offset the sharpness of the wine. Maybe I need to find one that has less acidity to it.

Verdict: PLONK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9, Wine Blog 2 (JP Chenet Sauvignon Blanc)

                                                                          19  March , 2023                                                  ...