Sunday, January 22, 2023

Week 1, Wine Blog 2 (Prophecy Pinot Grigio)

 Jan 22, 2023

The Wine: Prophecy Pinot Grigio

Varietal: Pinot Grigio | Region&Country: Delle Venezie, Italy

Year: 2021 | Price: $10.99

  • Tasting notes according to the Prophecy website are "light citrus, tropical fruit and mineral notes offer crisp, refreshment and are complemented by delicate floral aromas" (https://www.prophecywines.com/our-wines/pinot-grigio.html)
  • Primary flavors according to Wine Folly: white peach, lemon zest, cantaloupe, raw almond, crushed gravel (https://winefolly.com/grapes/pinot-gris/)
    • Pinot Grigio is known for  known for zesty white wines, but can also be used for rosé
    • Has medium-high acidity
Full disclosure, I partially bought this wine because I'm a sucker for a cool looking label. I'm not huge on dry wines, but I still gave this one a try. I tried to move past first impressions and really try to identify the flavors and aromas, but I still had a hard time pinning them down. I first noted a sour taste, like under-ripe stone fruit or lemons, and maybe a hint of peach. It was followed by a strange metallic taste, like someone slapped me with a roll of quarters before I took a sip. Not a huge fan of that. Reading "crushed gravel" in the Wine Folly taste notes gave me a laugh. Crushed gravel-mineral taste indeed!

I tried this wine with my dinner today- butternut squash soup. Verdict on the pairing: yuuuuck! Wine folly recommends Pinto Grigio with lighter things like white meat and seafood- they're definitely right. The tartness of the wine following the richness of the soup soiled the experience of both. It really highlighted just how dry and sour this wine is. Hopefully I'll get better at wine pairings soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9, Wine Blog 2 (JP Chenet Sauvignon Blanc)

                                                                          19  March , 2023                                                  ...