Sunday, January 22, 2023

Week 1, Wine Blog 1 (Risata Moscato d'Asti)

Jan 22, 2023

The Wine: Risata Moscato d'Asti

Varietal: Moscato Bianco di Canelli | Region&Country: Asti, Italy

Year: 2021 | Price: $12.99

  • Tasting notes according to the Risata website are "juicy stone fruit, tart citrus, and floral honey flavors" (https://www.risatawines.com/wine/moscato-dasti/)
  • According to Wine Folly: flavors and aromas of peaches, fresh grapes, orange blossoms, crisp Meyer lemons, pear, mandarin orange, and honeysuckle (https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/the-magic-of-moscato-dasti/)
    • The half-sparkling nature of this wine (frizzante) allows the flavors to tingle on the tongue and make the wine seem just slightly sweet, even though it has a decent amount of sugar
    • Should drink recent vintages- young and fresh
This wine is honestly a favorite so far. I took a shot in the dark buying it, since I know I enjoy Moscato but have only really bought bottom shelf bottles. The risk paid off! The light carbonation was very refreshing, and enhanced the flavors I experienced. Upon my first taste, I noted a heavy, sweet note like ripe peaches or plums, followed by bright hints of citrus. On the exhale, I noted aromas of something confectionary, almost like chocolate. After reading the Risata website and Wine Folly descriptions, honey is probably a better description for that tailing aroma. This was a delightful and refreshing sweet wine, and I will certainly buy it as gifts for friends or bring it to dinners.

I didn't have food with this wine, but if I did, I would pair it with something more acidic or sharp to contrast the sweetness of the wine. Having it without food made it so that after about half a glass, it was getting a little too sweet for me. Maybe a charcuterie board with olives and sharp cheeses. I think it would help bring out the flavors of both the food and the wine. Next time!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9, Wine Blog 2 (JP Chenet Sauvignon Blanc)

                                                                          19  March , 2023                                                  ...